Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Purposes (Entry 4+1)

   Hardly anything that requires time and / or energy is done without either purpose or love.

   According to the previous statement, we can conclude that hyperbole (defined by some as a fancy word for deliberate exaggeration), has its purpose, the creator of it has his/her goal, and the core of it has the power to affect perception, understanding, point of view. 
   Even if somebody does it simply "out of love", because maybe he/she likes exaggerating, the hyperbole is still with a goal, purpose and a target.
   The last time I discussed theory and technicalities I only presented a vague and relative description of the purposes of exaggeration, and said I will be open to interpretations. However, now I am going to list several uses of hyperbole. This is not a list I've copied from a definition, or that I've seen on a literature site. It is a mix of all I could think of so far. It may be edited in the future if I come upon other versions or figure out other uses that I have skipped or forgotten.
  1. To show great level / extent of something;
  2. To grab attention;
  3. To present obvious facts in a mocking manner;
  4. To be sarcastic;
  5. To emphasize / to point out / to put accent on;
  6. To show something more clearly;
  7. To create vivid descriptions;
  8. To increase effects of description;
  9. To create a comical / dramatic / ironic effect;
  10. For marketing / advertising;
   Of course, we can not set clear lines between each of the uses, and some of them overlap. A case of exaggeration may have several different effects. For example, it can create a comical and a dramatic effect, and thus be used for marketing, or maybe in the newspapers as a headline, for capturing attention.

   It is very likely that I reference this list when I comment on specific examples, so please have the aforementioned points in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment