Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Hyperbole in Idioms (Entry 7+1)

    Bored with the step by step: read, identify, report structure of my work for the journal, I think I should somehow introduce something new.
    Taking into consideration that a lot of the exaggerations are actually idioms that are widely used, I figured a new think I could do:
1. Find a list of idioms; - There are many online, but I'll just take one of the richer ones and work with it, even if it's missing many.
2. Start identifying which are exaggerations of literal actions;
3. Find or state an example of it being used;
4. Extras - No idea... But I should have some additional "step" for more interpretations, comments etc.

    How is this going to work?
    Here's the list that I will be using.

    I dislike always going alphabetically, so I'll start the other way around, i.e. backwards.

A yoke around one's neck;
Meaning: an obligation, commitment or restraint that becomes an oppressing burden.
It's not really this locked around your collum


On the wagon
meaning: to refrain from alcohol, to quit drinking it




Walking on air
Meaning: very happy, excited, "floating from happiness"

There you go, so much for now! That's just a mere median of how exaggerated idioms can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment