Saturday, October 22, 2011

Hyperbole that makes beauty (ENTRY 6+1)

Your hateful words sear my soul like a branding iron. The abuse I have to endure make my blood boil. Every slap or punch makes me sink away into my dark lonely soul. When you apologize the feeling never reaches your eyes, as though you don't care. I hide my tears and pain while I watch your life tick away. I am a ticking bomb ready to strike your weak point.....
You longer live and breathe to enjoy my pain.

    The first thought on my mind after reading this was: whoever wrote this is soooo down or blue.
    Then I clicked the link that leads me to the author's profile on the page I took this from, only to read the short description: "I write depressing music and poetry the best. I'm not depressed or anything it's just so easy for me to write dark thoughts."
   Reading this helped me make up my mind in regards to whether the strong exaggeration was to express strong emotions, to make a vivid description, or both. Considering that it wasn't candid, but solely artificial, and written for the sake of it being beautiful, it is safe to conclude that it is most fitting for 6, 7 and 8 from the purpose list.
   So, simply for the sake of clarity:
   1.Your hateful words sear my soul like a branding iron.

Really now? The person who the author speaks off most definitely didn't stamp this to her spirit!


2.The abuse I have to endure make my heart boil.
Boiling blood
The grammar error is not the only inaccuracy here.Unless of course the abuse wasn't the actual process of heating her blood to the degree where it would boil, if that's even plausible!


3.Every slap or punch makes me sink away into my dark lonely soul.
         Assuming that her soul is represented by the sea, this would be the literal interpretation:

 

    4. I'm a ticking bomb ready to strike your weak point.

   However, no matter how much I tend to portray every exaggeration as a crime to truth, HYPERBOLE in some cases is the most important part of the text that creates its beauty. Without it, as in most other cases, the effect would be lost. Worthy of notice is also that, here, HYPERBOLE  mixes with metaphor to capture the essence of emotions and state of being.
    
    After all, how else would one truthfully portray and pour out all that lies as a burden on their soul?

No comments:

Post a Comment