Friday, November 25, 2011

2 in 1 - What Not To Do: Hyperbole in Arguments

    I am not a huge fan of poetry, but it happens now and then that I actually take a minute to read a few verses. This one just randomly popped on my monitor on a home-page of a free e-books site. The only reason why it caught my attention is the first verse through which I completely identified with the author, a certain Carl F Maulbeck. "For the time being I'm doing nothing."
   There I was (only minutes ago, but now I'm doing homework, so "now" doesn't count ), at almost 2am, clicking and typing pointlessly in pursuit of entertainment. Metaphorically, and well, practically, I was doing nothing. Technically, I was breathing, watching, reading, clicking and so on and so forth. But, it's poetry, right? So exaggeration is not only fine, but sometimes key!
   Verse 2: "And I will never be the same" - is this exaggeration? Big words such as "never" and "always" are usually signs of exaggeration; and of weak arguments, of course, though that's out of the topic. However, this is one of the rare cases where "never" fits perfectly. Since we change with every millisecond that passes, out current state of body and mind can not be repeated in its entirety. So, no exaggeration here.
   Verse 3: I can barely move (emphasis added). Now that's how one makes their case believable and not easily crushed. I can say he moves, writing this poem. Otherwise the tense would be wrong. Or maybe he was just thinking about it! But then there would be signals rushing through his brain, so there is some movement. If he used "I can't move." I would most definitely say: "Ha! Or can you?" But he used "I can barely move", so he's safe! What a useful word "barely" is!
   Verse 5: "There is no remedy for how I feel" - Are you sure? Is there none or have you just not found it yet? Has it simply not been discovered?
   Further in the poem there are some philosophical points, some abstract ideas and what not. But, it's poetry, so it's kind of meant to be the complete opposite of down to Earth. The guy's a poet, thus.. no hard feelings. Blame this on my argument beating attempts I've unconsciously been practicing in every aspect of being in the past few days. Pardon my stray of focus off hyperbole. But then again, everything is connected, isn't it? If he used hyperbole, then his claim would have been easily destroyed. Isn't that absolutely true?

  Now go back and check the italicized stuff, both the green and the red colored words.What's easier to disprove? :)

  I almost forgot:
  Maulbeck, Carl F. Lost and Found?. Scribd. Web. 24 Nov. 2011. <http://www.scribd.com/doc/36820325/Lost-and-Found>.
 Except that I have no clue how to add the hanging indent in a blog post!
 Oh, and maybe I should change the title to 3 in 1...

No comments:

Post a Comment