Thursday, November 24, 2011

Hyperbole in Advertising

     Few days ago we were given an assignment that involved finding ads, identifying their claims, support, warrants etc, so that we get more insight into how argumentation works.
     So, I figured I should finally provide an example of hyperbole in advertising, the existence of which I have claimed since I started this blog, but never really proved.
      Here's a picture:
     No, The high heels are most definitely that high, to make the girl wearing them have her head in the clouds. Well, my previous statement is true as far as we are referring to the term's literally, not in its idiomatic meaning. As a matter of fact, a girl with fancy shoes is highly expected to have her head in the clouds.

   Another example can be this picture:
    It implies that the binoculars are so good, that the lifeguard can monitor all that is happening on the beach even from the desert. We don't exactly know how is he going to get there in time to save somebody when needed, but the advertisement sure makes its point.

   And finally:
    This vacuum cleaner is so powerful, it took an air balloon down.


I believe my work here is done :)

No comments:

Post a Comment